Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tortilla Cigars


I originally got this recipe from Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I don't have a problem getting my family to eat healthy food, but I was curious about the book and it had some yummy looking recipes that just happened to have some extra vitamins.

I altered this quite a bit to fit what I had on hand - very typical of me. I change recipes to make them easier, cheaper, and faster to make with what I have. The original recipe called for cubed chicken or turkey, yellow squash and carrot puree and bigger tortillas. I used leftover pot roast and leftover homemade butternut squash puree (ie. baby food). I also tried using whole wheat tortillas and corn tortillas, and both were equally delicious.

1 c. shredded beef
1/2 c. shredded cheese
1/2 c. squash puree
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 t. garlic salt
whole wheat or corn tortillas

Stir together ingredients. If using corn tortillas, roll with 2 Tablespoons of filling inside. If using flour tortillas, cut in half and place one half on work surface with straight edge facing you. Spread two tablespoons of the filling along the straight edge. Starting at the edge, roll the tortilla into a cigar shape, completely enclosing the filling. Place seam-side down on baking sheet and bake at 340 until tortillas begin to brown.


No comments: