Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Richardson Peach Cobbler



I regret to inform you that these beautiful cobblers were not made with Richardson peaches. The peaches they were made from did have one thing in common with Richardson peaches though - they were free.
My neighbor gave me a big bowl of peaches (and some grapes!), so I decided to make a cobbler tonight. No sooner had I finished peeling and slicing them, but she knocked on my door. When I told her I was making cobbler, she insisted I didn't have enough peaches and had me take another giant bowl full. So even though I tripled my recipe (and took the bigger pan next door), I still have a bowl full of peaches.
This recipes makes one 9x9 pan of cobbler, or double it for 9x13.

Biscuit topper: Sift together
1 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt.

Cut in 1/4 c. butter till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine 1/4 c. milk and 1 slightly beaten egg. Add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just to moisten. Set aside. Prepare filling. Pour filling into baking dish. Immediately spoon on biscuit topper in 6 mounds. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with cream or ice cream. Make 6 servings.

Peach Filling: Combine in saucepan:
1 1/2 T. cornstarch
1/4 t. ground mace
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. water

Cook and stir till thickened. Add:
4 cups sliced peaches
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. butter

Cook till peaches are hot, about 5 minutes.

No comments: