Thursday, October 16, 2014

BYU Mint Brownies/Monsters Inc Birthday Cake



Dalton looked over my shoulder at Pinterest while I defined the type of cake mommy can't make and we picked out a simple frosted Mike Wazowski circle cake. He wanted a chocolate cake though, and I am tired of buttercream on chocolate cake (bleh) so I was trying to think of something else when John suggested mint. Oooh, mint brownies! I used the BYU mint brownie recipe, baking it in two circular cake pans. I greased and floured the pans first, baked the cakes about 20-22 minutes (instead of the 25 the recipe called for) and they popped right out when cool.

BYU Mint Brownies Recipe
1 c. butter
1/2 c. cocoa
2 T. honey
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Melt the butter and mix with the cocoa. Allow to cool.  Mix chocolate mixture with honey, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir in the nuts.  Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Mint Icing Recipe
5 T. butter, softened
dash of salt
1 T. light corn syrup.
2 1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 t. mint extract.
3 T. milk

Mix the butter, salt, corn syrup, powdered sugar and mint extract. Slowly add the milk until the icing is the right consistency.

The BYU mint brownies also have a layer of chocolate icing. I didn't do this for aesthetics, but if I did, I would sift 1/3 c. cocoa in with the powdered sugar, and leave out the mint extract.

No comments: