Friday, April 9, 2010

Tortillas

I originally got this recipe from my cousins, Alyssa and Camilla. The recipe makes 25, but I don't recommend making that many without a tortilla press and a helper (over age 3). I usually make 1/4 the recipe.

Original Recipe (makes about 25)
8 c. flour
1 t. salt
4 t. baking powder
4 T. Crisco (or butter)
3 c. hot water

Here's how I make them: 1/4 recipe (makes about 6)
1 1/3 c. flour
2/3 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 T. oil
3/4 c. hot water

Mix dry ingredients. Cut Crisco/butter/oil into flour mixture. Add water. Knead. Let stand 3 minutes. Grease hands. Form Balls. Roll and cut into circles. Fry or cook on grill. I cooked them on the George Foreman this time and they turned out good. Usually I fry them in a little oil.

No comments: